Posted by News Express | 21 February 2016 | 1,690 times
The Port Harcourt Electricity Distribution Company (PHEDC) says some of its staff on legitimate duties had been attacked by some youths in Ikot Abasi Local Government Area of Akwa Ibom.
The company’s Chief Executive Officer, Mr Jay McCoskey, told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), in Ikot Abasi on Saturday that sadly, the community had enjoyed uninterrupted electricity supply without payment since Nov. 2015.
“It is interesting to note that Ikot Abasi had been enjoying uninterrupted electricity supply which had not been paid for by customers since Nov. 2015.”
He explained that officials of the company were engaged in the disconnection of non-paying customers when they were attacked.
“Their vehicles were destroyed; they were threatened and held hostage for hours before the youths finally decided to release them.
“Our staff were forced to reconnect delinquent customers and severely warned about coming to carry out their official duties in the area.”
McCoskey threatened to withdraw the company’s services due to the torture and trauma meted out on his staff, until the issue leading to the attack was resolved.
“It is inappropriate and unfair to good paying customers to allow this situation to continue.
“Ikot Abasi is one of the areas PHEDC has mapped out for network improvement.”
He, however, reiterated the company’s commitment to providing effective and efficient service to customers in the state. (NAN)
No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.