Posted by News Express | 9 January 2016 | 3,919 times
The Minister of Defence, retired Brig.-Gen. Mansur Dan-Ali, said on Friday that the Federal Government would introduce insurance package for soldiers fighting insurgency in the North-East.
Dan-Ali made the disclosure while briefing newsmen shortly after a Special Juma’at Prayer to mark the 2016 Armed Forces Remembrance Day celebration in Abuja.
He said that already there were numerous packages enjoyed by the military as a way of motivating them to ensure the success of the ongoing counter insurgency operation.
“Normally we have package for the families of the fallen heroes but recently we are introducing the death insurance which has not been done before.
“It is an additional package by President Muhammadu Buhari to motivate our gallant armed forces and to take care of the families of the fallen heroes.”
The minister solicited for prayers from all Nigerians to ensure the defeat of the Boko Haram terrorists.
He said that the military was getting it right in the ongoing fight against insurgency, and expressed optimism that Boko Haram would soon be a thing of the past in the country.
“I believe Nigerians are fully aware of what the military has done so far and with their prayers everything will come to an end very soon.”
Earlier, the President of the Senate, Bukola Saraki, said that the prayer was part of recognition of the sacrifice made by men and women who laid down their lives to defend the country.
“We must continue to do this not only to motivate their families that are left behind but to also encourage our men that are presently fighting insurgency.”
He called on all Nigerians to always remember the fallen heroes in their daily prayers and also pray for the unity and development of the country.
On his part, the Deputy Chief Imam of the National Mosque, Sheikh Ahmad Onilewura, prayed for the victory of the armed forces over the forces of evil in the country.
The prayer was attended by the Chief of Air Staff, Air Vice Marshal Sadique Abubakar, The Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed and the Minister of state for Environment, Alhaji Usman Jibrin, among others.
In a related development, the Nigerian Army has denied allegations made by the reinstated soldiers that they have been deployed back to the northeast to fight Boko Haram following their pardon.
In a statement, a spokesman for the Army, Colonel Sani Usman, said that on the contrary the soldiers have not been fully pardoned.
Colonel Usman reiterated that the Nigerian Army had been tolerant and patient with their acts of indiscipline and unprofessional conducts.
“Efforts have been made to retrain them, integrate and give them a sense of belonging, but the attitude of some of them has left so much to be desired and would not be tolerated anymore.
“The Nigerian Army thrives on discipline, loyalty and good conduct and if anyone of them cannot measure up to expectation or live by those tenets, such a person is free to leave the army.”
Over 3,000 soldiers, who were pardoned last year for various offenses said to have been committed while fighting Biko Haram terrorists in the northeast, are reported to have refused their redeployment on the grounds that they have not been giving their reinstatement letters.
According to reports, attempts to make them report at their various units have been rejected. (NAN/Channels TV)
•Photo shows Minister of Defence, retired Brig.-Gen. Mansur Dan-Ali.
No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.