Posted by News Express | 25 November 2015 | 2,555 times
The Bayelsa State Government has condemned an attack on Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) supporters by suspected All Progressives Congress (APC) members in the course of the ongoing campaigns for the December 5 governorship election in the state.
Speaking yesterday during a news briefing in Yenagoa Bayelsa Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Mr. Dan Kikile, alleged that one James Peters, a member of PDP, was attacked by suspected APC members in Gbarain-Ekpetiama area of Yenagoa.
He said that the name of one Stanley Odoki who allegedly led the attack had been given to security agents for proper action.
The commissioner called on the opposition, particularly supporters of APC, to play according to the rules.
He assured that PDP will ensure a free, fair and peaceful election, even as he called on PDP supporters to be on their guard to ensure that APC does not manipulate the forthcoming poll.
However, Mr Nathan Egba, Director of Media and Publicity of APC Governorship Campaign Organization, dismissed the allegation as baseless.
Egba said that the PDP government’s accusation was a diversionary tactics to divert attention of members of the public from PDP’s orchestrated attacks on APC members.
“The allegations coming from Kikile shows that he has been alienated by both his party and the government he is serving in and he does not know what is happening in his party. We have no need to attack anyone because we are winning, they are losing and they are resorting to attacking us, two weeks ago when we mobilised to clean up the state capital they beat up our women supporters,” Egba said.
Both the ruling PDP and APC have been blaming each other over several reported incidents of violence within the past few weeks in the build up to the December 5 elections.
No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.