Posted by News Express | 20 May 2013 | 4,309 times
Boko Haram, the violent sect that made parts of Nigeria’s north virtually ungovernable since 2009, has been dislodged from its strongholds and its activities effectively curtailed, President Goodluck Jonathan has announced.
“The efforts of the Armed Forces have already started yielding positive results, as available information confirms that the insurgents have been dislodged from their previously safe havens and camps while many have been apprehended, and their activities in the affected states have been brought to a total halt,” Senior Special Assistant to the President, Public Affairs, Dr. Doyin Okupe, announced late yesterday.
Okupe in a statement issued in Abuja, the Nigerian capital, conveyed President Jonathan’s gratitude to Nigerians for their support for the state of emergency declared last Tuesday in Borno, Yobe and Adamawa states.
“President Goodluck Jonathan has expressed gratitude to all Nigerians for the overwhelming support they have given to the declaration of state of emergency in Borno, Yobe and Adamawa States. The President also thanked the leadership of the National Assembly and many of its members, who have through calls and personal visitations, given solidarity and support for this extraordinary step taken by the President in order to halt the mindless killings, bombings and general insecurity that had prevailed in that part of the country,” Okupe said.
He said that “the President also notes with gratification the positive disposition and understanding of the Governors of the federation especially the Northern Governors Forum, Leaders and Elders in the North, traditional rulers, religious leaders, cultural and political groups nationwide including opposition political parties, civil society organisations and the Media.”
Dr. Okupe said the President is appreciative of the efforts, loyalty, commitment and sacrifice of members of the Armed Forces and other security agencies who have demonstrated commendable patriotism and gallantry in compliance with the order of the Commander-in chief.
“Mr. President,” he said, “also appreciates the encouragement by members of the diplomatic corps and international community and promises that as a disciplined force, members of the Armed Forces will operate according to acceptable international rules of engagement and will pay particular attention to the safety and well-being of the citizens of the affected states during this period of emergency rule.”
President Jonathan called on Nigerians from all walks of life, ethnic origins and religious affiliations, “to rally round the Federal Government in this period of national travail in order that collectively, we will achieve success in this major fight against terror in our land, and return peace and stability to our nation with its attendant prosperity, growth and development in the affected region.”
“The President has promised that at all times, the Federal Government will not relent or spare any effort that will guarantee the safety and security of all Nigerians, and that all manner of criminality in our country would be fought uncompromisingly with all the powers and might available to the Federal Government,” the statement said.
•Photo shows President Jonathan.
No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.