Posted by Pamela Eboh, Awka | 10 November 2015 | 2,959 times
Over N200 million worth of property was yesterday destroyed in a matter of minutes when an inferno engulfed a three-storey building close to the commercial city of Onitsha, Anambra State.
The fire was said to have been caused by chemicals stored in drums in one of the three-storey buildings at No. 1 Afam Uzugwu in Nkpor Junction.
An eyewitness, Mr. Clement Okeh said the fire started from a three-storey building and spread to other surrounding buildings before the fire service stopped it from spreading.
Vice Chairman of Red Cross Society in Anambra, Prof Peter Katchy, who confirmed the inferno said that one lady who jumped from the three-storey building while running for her life sustained injuries and is currently receiving treatment.
According to him, the fire was caused by explosion from chemicals packed in drums in the building.
The Red Cross Society Vice Chairman noted that the fire service from Okpoko responded promptly adding that due to the intensiveness of the fire, they alerted another fire service from Awka as a back up to help them put out the fire.
He however warned against keeping any flammable material or object in the house to avoid explosion or fire outbreak.
•Photo shows a burning house.
No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.