Death toll in Kaduna attacks rises to 25

Posted by Garba Ahmad, Kaduna | 1 April 2013 | 4,463 times

Gmail icon


Twelve children, eight women and five men were reportedly killed by unknown gunmen in the Saturday night/Sunday morning attack on two Attakar villages in Kaura Local Government of Kaduna State in North-Central Nigeria.

The Chairman of the Kaduna State chapter of the Miyyeti Allah, Ibrahim Sulaiman Abdullahi, gave the increased death toll to News Express in a telephone interview in Kaduna.

This is contrary to the earlier report of 19 people reportedly killed by Fulanis in the renewed attacks by gunmen on Attakar village.

Relating what happened, Abdullahi said: “What really happened was that the body of a mad man was discovered in the bush, which triggered the attack on Fulani settlements, killing over 25 Fulani herdsmen made up of mostly women and children.

“They burnt down all the settlement and carted away with over 200 cattle.

“The mad man had been reported missing from home for a very long time. These people just went on rampage and started attacking the Fulani settlement without any investigation.

“Therefore, whoever said that bodies were found and the Fulanis were accused of carrying out any attack is being economical with the truth. No single person was attacked by the Fulanis and no bodies were discovered killed by any Fulani man. Rather, it was the Fulanis that were attacked, killing children and women while the men were away.

“I am assuring you that up till now, we could not have access to recover many bodies of our children that were killed are still littered in the bush.

“What we want people to understand is that no Fulani herdsman will ever stay in a place where there is no peace.

“The Fulani herdsmen were persuaded to return to their settlement after the last election violence in the area and they were assured of adequate protection of their lives and cattle. Unfortunately, we ended up returning and the killings and maiming continues and then they will turn around to cover up and blame us for the killings.

“No right thinking Fulani herdsman will indulge in any breach of peace in an environment where his entire investment and wealth can be affected. It is only those who have their wealth safe in the bank that can indulge in violence.

“We have been co-existing peacefully despite our ethno-religious differences and we continue to wonder who is behind this mayhem in order to continue to incite us against each other. We shall continue to pray to God to expose these faceless enemies of peace and progress.”

Earlier, the Chairman of Kaura Local Government Kumai Badu had confirmed the incident, saying that the attacks were allegedly launched by Fulanis on two Attakar villages.

He said 19 people had been reportedly killed while 10 others critically injured in Mafang and Zilang villages.

As reported early afternoon today by News Express, the chairman said the attacks also led to the burning of virtually all houses and food items in the two villages. He said that over 2,000 victims of the attacks were presently taking refuge at Mifi and Fadan Attakar villages while relief materials were being provided by the local government to assuage their sufferings.

The Police Public Relations Officer, Kaduna State Command, DSP Aminu Lawal, while confirming the attacks said they occurred between late Saturday and the early hours of Sunday.

His words: “The incident occurred in Magat and some remote settlements in hills and rocky areas of Kaura Local Government bordering Plateau and Kaduna State.

“The joint task force of both the military and the police have been dispatched to the area to maintain order and to ascertain the attack. The casualty figure is still sketchy, however we will get back to you as soon as the figure is ascertained.”

Photo: Kaduna State Governor Muktar Ramalan Yero.


Source: News Express

Readers Comments

0 comment(s)

No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.


You may also like...