NIN Enrolment: NIMC seeks N25bn for storage servers

Posted by News Express | 23 June 2021 | 367 times

Gmail icon




The National Identity Management Commission is proposing N25 billion
to procure more servers for the storage of National Identity Number
enrolment records.

It is to submit its proposal to the Federal Executive Council on Wednesday.
The Director General, NIMC, Aliyu Abubakar Aziz, disclosed this on
Tuesday while appearing before Senate Public Accounts Committee, which
is probing the agency over alleged non-compliance with Public
Procurement Act on award of N229 million contract.
He said 57 million persons have, so far, been registered, adding that
90 servers were needed to register 100 million Nigerians.

“For us to reach 100 million, we will need 90 servers. We have
enrolled 57 million as of today. We will ask for N25 billion at FEC
tomorrow to buy more server to take the whole of population,” he said.

Meanwhile, the Auditor-General for the Federation, in a 2017 report,
said NIMC, in October, 2017 procured 22 units of servers at a cost of
N229.7 million with no evidence of Ministerial Tender’s Board
approval.
There was an initial payment of ₦103.4 million vide payment voucher
number NIMC/01/016 CA/18 dated 19/01/18, representing 45% of the
contract sum as against the mobilization fee of 15%. The other
subsequent payments were not also backed by an interim performance
certificate as required by Section 35(2) of the public procurement Act
2007.

“This is an indication of weakness in the internal control system at
National Identity Management Commission (NIMC). This could lead to
poor value for money and possibility of misapplication and
misappropriation of funds. Management’s response No response was
received from management at the time of our report. Recommendation The
Director General is required to refund the sum of ₦229 million,” the
audit query said.

But the Director General claimed that the contract falls within the
threshold of the Commission’s Tenders Board and that all the servers
had been supplied before the initial payment of 45 percent which
represent part payment and not mobilization due to paucity of funds.

He also said the contract was a continuation of procurement of
Enterprise Servers and Storage Solution and Equipment which was
awarded in 2012.
The chairman of the committee, Senator Matthew Urhoghide, said it was
wrong for the commission to continue 2012 Procurement process in 2017.

“We supposed to do status enquiry on your Commission because it looks
like all your documents are muddled up,” the lawmaker said.

The committee therefore asked the commission’s officials to reappear
next week with more documents to back up their claims
 (Daily Trust)


Source: News Express

Readers Comments

0 comment(s)

No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.


You may also like...