Curfew imposed on Abia, Imo, Ekiti, Ondo, Osun, Plateau

Posted by News Express | 21 October 2020 | 1,407 times

Gmail icon

•#ENDSARS protesters

 

Six states on Tuesday night went the way of Lagos, which earlier in the day declared a 24-hour curfew in a desperate bid to end the over two weeks #ENDSARS protests. They are Abia, Imo, Ekiti, Ondo, Osun and Plateau.

The Abia State Government declared a 24-hour curfew in two major cities in the state, namely Aba and Umuahia.

Information Commissioner John Okiyi Kalu late Tuesday said in a statement that the curfew was ordered by Governor Okezie Ikpeazu.

According the statement, the curfew was slated to start at 6 pm on Tuesday evening till further notice.

He also stated that the governor approved a cash reward of N5 million to anyone who provides information leading to the arrest of hoodlums and armed cultists in the state.

He stated that another reward of N1 million was approved for each authentic video evidence on brutality and extra-judicial killings by security agents in the state that will be submitted to the Judicial Panel of Inquiry.

The commissioner said that the curfew was declared to ensure the continued security of lives and property of law abiding citizens in the state.

Across the border, Governor Hope Uzodinma of Imo State in a late evening broadcast said that the curfew in the state took effect from 12 midnight yesterday, adding that by this development nobody is expected to be on the streets both day and night.

He said that the action was necessitated by “recent developments in the country and the attendant attempt by unpatriotic elements in our state to buy into it to ignite social unrest in the state.”

In the country’s South-West, Governor Oluwarotimi Akeredolu of Ondo State imposed a 24-hour curfew on the state from 12 a.m. on Wednesday till further notice. Akeredolu, who gave the directive in a statewide broadcast on Tuesday, however, exempted those on essential duties from the curfew.

In neighbouring Ekiti State, Governor Kayode Fayemi announced a 24-hour curfew on all parts of the state starting from 10:00 pm last night.

“Only essential workers and service providers with valid means of identifications are allowed to move around during the period of the curfew.

“Any person found on the street that does not belong to this category, would be promptly arrested and prosecuted according to the laws of Ekiti State.

“We seek the understanding of the good people of Ekiti State as we continue to take deliberate steps towards ensuring that peace and normalcy return to our state,” a statement signed by the Secretary to the State Government, Mr Biodun Oyebanji, said.

Across the border in Osun State, Governor Gboyega Oyetola declared a 24-hour curfew on the state, effective from 11:59 pm until further notice.

A statement issued on Tuesday in Osogbo by the Secretary to the State Government, Mr Wole Oyebamiji, quoted the governor as saying with the curfew imposed, there will be no movement throughout the state.

Oyetola said only those on essential duties with valid identification would be permitted to move around during the period of the curfew.

Up North, Governor Simon Lalong of Plateau State imposed a 24-hour curfew in Jos North and Jos South Local Government Areas, from 8 p.m.

Lalong gave the order while briefing newsmen on Tuesday at the Government House in Jos.

“It is rather unfortunate that in the past few days, the #EndSARS protest which began peacefully have gradually degenerated to the situation where hoodlums have attacked and molested innocent citizens who are going about their normal businesses

“This development took a new turn on Tuesday, Oct. 20, when the protest led to destruction of properties, cars and looting of business premises along Ahmadu Bello way, as well as the burning of a place of worship, on the Gyero road Bukuru, In addition, three deaths have been recorded,” he said.

He said he summoned an emergency Security Council Meeting to evaluate the situation in order to take necessary action to forestall further escalation, saying the curfew was necessary to achieve that.

“Furthermore, all public and private businesses are to shutdown activities immediately while parents are strongly advised to rein in their children, youth and wards to forestall further breakdown of law and order.

“Only those on essential services will be allowed to move around to their duty posts,” he said.


Source: News Express

Readers Comments

0 comment(s)

No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.


You may also like...