El-Zazaky pleads not-guilty as substantive trial opens in Kaduna

Posted by News Express | 29 September 2020 | 632 times

Gmail icon

•Detained IMN Leader, Sheikh El-Zazaky

 

By GARBA MUHAMMAD, Kaduna

Sheikh Ibrahim El-Zazaky, leader of the Islamic Movement in Nigeria (IMN), on Tuesday pleaded not-guilty to all eight-count-charge brought against him before a High Court in Kaduna.

Justice Gideon Kurada took the plea of the IMN leader at the resumed hearing of the motion on no-case-submission brought by the defendant on August 7.

Justice Kurada had  fixed Sept. 29, for ruling on motion, after counsel to the defendant, Abubakar Marshall, holding the briefs for Femi Falana, asked the court to quash the charges preferred against El-Zakzaky by the government for not “disclosing an offence known to law contrary to Section 36 (8) and (12) of the 1999 constitution as amended”.

At the resumed date, however, Kurada again reserved ruling on the motion until after hearing in the substantive suit.

Also, the Judge, after taking the plea of the defendant, adjourned until November 18 and 19 to enable the prosecution present its witnesses.

The IMN leader had brought the motion seeking the court to quash the State Government’s case against him for lack of evidence.

The IMN leader and his wife Zinat are standing trial on allegations of culpable homicide, unlawful assembly and disruption of public peace, among other charges.

Mr Dari Bayero, leader of the prosecution team, told reporters shortly after the hearing that the prosecution had assembled more than 20 witnesses to give evidence before the court.

Bayero said personnel of Nigerian Army and that of the Nigeria Police were among witnesses assembled to give evidence in the case against the defendant.

The IMN leader and his wife are standing trial on allegations of culpable homicide, unlawful assembly and disruption of public peace, among other charges.

Abubakar Marshall, counsel to the defendant, holding briefs for Femi Falana, also told reporters shortly after the adjournment that his motion on no-case submission had been reserved until the end of hearing in the main suit.

He said that his client had taken a not-guilty-plea and “we are waiting for the prosecution to present its witnesses”.


Source: News Express

Readers Comments

0 comment(s)

No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.


You may also like...