MNJTF Force Commander assures surrendered Boko Haram and ISWAP terrorists of humane treatment

Posted by News Express | 5 August 2020 | 922 times

Gmail icon


 

The Force Commander of the Multinational Joint Task Force (MNJTF), Major General Ibrahim Manu Yusuf, has assured Boko Haram and ISWAP terrorists who recently surrendered of humane treatment. MNJTF Chief of Military Public Information, Colonel Timothy Antigha, said on Tuesday that Major General Yusuf gave the assurance during an interaction with the former fighters earlier in the day in Mora, Extreme North Region, Cameroun.

“Addressing the former fighters, the Force Commander who spoke in Hausa told them that the entire Boko Haram /ISWAP idea is misplaced and orchestrated by a few misguided individuals who desire to inflict suffering on millions of people in the Lake Chad Basin, for their own selfish and personal interests. The Commander therefore urged them to encourage their former colleagues and friends who are still in the bush to come out and surrender. He informed them that countries affected by Boko Haram Insurgency have developed their respective Disarmament, Demobilization, Reintegration and Resettlement (DD/RR) programs to address the peculiar challenges introduced by the Boko Haram Insurgency,”ANtigha said in a statement issued in N’Djamena - Chad.

H disclosed that, in his remarks, the spokesperson of the group (name withheld) commended MNJTF authorities for accommodating and catering for them and their families. “He observed that contrary to a widely held opinion that fighters who surrender are being killed, members of his group are safe,” Antigha said, quoting the man as saying: “Our Commanders told us that we would be killed if we surrender, but here we are being treated like human beings.” He expressed regret over the atrocities that they were misled to commit and prayed for forgiveness.

The Force Commander, according to the statement, also used the opportunity to operationalise the European Union funded direct supply of Petroleum, Oil and Lubricants to Sector 1 of the MNJTF. The MNJTF launched the programme in Sector 4 Diffa (Niger Republic) a fortnight ago. All sectors of the MNJTF are benefiting from the European Union intervention.

“The Commander Sector 1, Brigadier General Bouba Dobekreo, Staff Officers from HQ MNJTF and Sector 1, among other dignitaries witnessed the ceremony,” the statement said.

  • PHOTO:MNJTF Force Commander, Major General Ibrahim Manu Yusuf, interacting with surrendered Boko Haram and ISWAP terrorists . . . on Tuesday in Cameroun


Source: News Express

Readers Comments

0 comment(s)

No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.


You may also like...