By News Express on 26/07/2014
Ebola, a haemorhagic disease which causes the spontaneous bleeding of internal organs of affectation, has been trending in Nigeria since the news broke of the 40-year-old Liberian man who entered Nigeria with the virus on Friday and died yesterday in a undisclosed Lagos hospital. Ebola is considered to be perhaps more dreadful than AIDS and cancer. Ebola kills within seven days, usually from three to 30 days. It kills 90% of its victims.
Below, as taken from the Facebook wall of King O. James, are the signs/ symptoms of Ebola Viral Haemorhagic Disease (EVHD):
Joint and muscle pain
Bleeding from nose, ear, skin, eyes
In pregnant women it leads to miscarriage and heavy vaginal bleeding.
Warning signs of Ebola may mimic malaria symptoms.
There are several ways of contracting it... through body secretions such as sweat, blood, saliva, mucous, breast secretion, tears, urine, and sexual transmission with an infected person. Hence, the commonest way is through physical contact e.g. a handshake.
Prevention is the key word!!!
1. Avoid bush meat or any meat you are not sure of its source.
2. Wash your hands frequently with detergent or soap using clean water.
3. Avoid trips to Ebola endemic countries (DRC, Uganda, Congo, Gabon, Sudan, etc)
4. Get a hand sanitizer for family
5. Avoid buying foodstuff, clothing or other personal materials from markets/shops that share the same vicinity with live or roasted bush meat, dealer’s or sellers
6. Be careful with hands when using railings on the stairs, door knobs and other utilities used by the public.
7. Gloves and other appropriate protective clothing should be worn when handling sick animals or their tissues
8. Watch out for people with flu-like symptoms and sudden fever
9. Avoid pig farms, pig farms in Africa play a role in the amplification of infection because of the presence of fruit bats on these farms.
10. Avoid bat meats and bat products
11. Report any suspicious case to the nearest health care centre.
Again, don’t forget to always wash your hands with soap regularly.
•Photo shows doctors evacuting Ebola virus specimen.
Source News Express
Posted 26/07/2014 09:09:28 AM
You may also like...
IGP orders tight security for Ramadan; felicitates with...
BREAKING NEWS: Buhari cancels trip to Ogoni land...
Today’s weather outlook, as forecast by NiMET
Xmas: Umahi despatches buses to other parts of...
Last-minute wonder: Senate passes 46 bills in one...
Making haste slowly
Irate youths burn President Jonathan’s campaign buses
Kachikwu orders special fuel supply for Christmas
Nigeria Police and extra-judicial killings, By Adewole Kehinde...
Court orders arrest of former PDP Secretary in...
Army intervenes to restore order in Southern Kaduna...
Activist sues Obiano, warns against appointment of LG...