Fidelity bank banner Bayelsa State banner
US, China strike deal to end sanctions on telecom giant ZTE

By News Express on 08/06/2018

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon Share on Google+

Views: 390


The U.S. and China have reached a deal to lift sanctions against the giant Chinese ZTE telecommunications company that hobbled the firm when the United States banned the sale of American-made components it needed for its consumer products, U.S. Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross said Thursday.


Ross told CNBC the accord will force ZTE, which employs nearly 75,000 workers, to pay a $1 billion fine for violating the U.S. ban on trade with North Korea and Iran, put another $400 million in escrow, and within 30 days replace its entire management and board.

Ross said going forward, the deal imposes the "most strict" compliance on ZTE. He said the penalties should serve as a very strong deterrent for "other potential bad actors" to force compliance with U.S. trade restrictions.

"If they do violate it again, in addition to the billion dollars they are paying us up front, we had them put $400 million in escrow," he said. "The total deal is $1.4 billion. That money will be forfeited if they violate anything ... and we still retain the power to shut them down again."

ZTE must hire a new compliance team selected by the U.S. Commerce Department for a 10-year term.

"We are literally embedding a compliance department of our choosing into the company to monitor it going forward," Ross said. "They will pay for those people, but the people will report to the new chairman."

"This is a pretty strict settlement," he added. "The strictest and largest settlement fine that has ever been brought by the Commerce Department against any violator of export controls."

The commerce secretary said he did not think the settlement of the ZTE dispute would have any impact on ongoing contentious trade and tariff talks between the U.S. and China, the world's two biggest economies.

Washington and Beijing have threatened each other with massive new tariffs on up to $150 billion of exports from the two countries, the fallout from the U.S. demand that China buys more American goods to sharply cut last year's $375 billion Chinese trade surplus with the U.S.

The ZTE agreement was reached after weeks of talks between U.S. and Chinese officials. The dispute stemmed from a U.S. decision to block sales of American-made components ZTE needs to manufacture its products for seven years, until 2025. The agreement calls for a 10-year suspended ban that can be activated if ZTE commits new trade violations.

Most of the world first heard of the dispute over ZTE nearly a month ago following a tweet by U.S. President Donald Trump.

Some U.S. lawmakers, both Republicans and Democrats, balked at Trump's effort to reach an accord on ZTE, saying that firm was a threat to U.S. national security through intelligence gathering on its devices. But Trump ignored the complaints, pushing Ross to settle the dispute.

Later Thursday, Republican Senator Marco Rubio of Florida said: "Huawei and ZTE pose a serious threat to America's national security. ... After today's decision to give #ZTE a pass, we have introduced a bipartisan amendment to restore penalties on ZTE."

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer of New York said, "There is absolutely no good reason that ZTE should get a second chance and this decision marks a 180-degree turn away from the president's promise to be tough on China. ... It's up to Congress now to act to reverse the deal."

They both were part of a bipartisan effort behind the amendment. (VOA)

Source News Express

Posted 08/06/2018 12:11:27 PM

 

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon Share on Google+


 

CLASSIFIED ADS

 

You may also like...
Anxiety in Abia North as Ohuabunwa, Orji Kalu,...

Boss Mustapha, Rotimi Amaechi have derailed; they should...

Arewa youths meet over Igbo quit notice

Afenifere, Ohanaeze, Northern Elders, others meet over state...

CBN offers $100m for wholesale

Explosion rocks Bayelsa home of ex-militant leader

Kogi recovers part of diverted N230 million pension...

Okowa declares zero tolerance to corruption, warns commissioners...

4 varsity students die in auto crash, few...

Collapsed building kills 2 in Lagos

Nigerian Army says most villages seized by Boko...

Oyedepo: A Living Proof of The Bible is...

 

Latest News Why Buhari will win 2019 presidential election — Bloomberg Mother hangs children after recording their goodbye messages 2019: INEC issues Sept 15 deadline for party primaries Prophetess nabbed over sale of day-old baby 2019 Imo Governorship: On Owerri zone we stand — Engr. Njoku •Drums support for Deputy Governor Madumere Osogbo landlords beg Aregbesola to pay N2bn compensation promised since 2014 LAUTECH: ASUU calls for Ajimobi, Aregbesola’s resignation 51 Kebbi drivers abducted: Governor Bagudu UN counters FG, says ‘huge ransom’ paid for release of Dapchi girls kidnapped by Boko Haram 4 Egba High Chiefs jailed for breach of peace Senator Adeleke reveals plans to upgrade LAUTECH if elected Osun Governor PDP buying PVCs in Yobe for N5,000, APC alleges

 

Most Read NUDE PHOTO OF OMOTOLA JALADE-EKEINDE surfaces online (377,705 views) Nigerian female sex addict opens up, says ‘I like it with both men and women’ (366,627 views) Shameless Genevieve Nnaji exposes breasts in public (296,336 views) Finally named: The full list of friends of Nigerian female sex addict who prowled Facebook (241,905 views) OLUMBA OLUMBA OBU (the one who called himself God) IS DEAD (222,677 views) Igbo scholar disgraces Femi Fani-Kayode •Demolishes claims on Igbo/Yoruba history with facts and figures (217,139 views) Breaking News: POPULAR REVEREND CONVERTS TO ISLAM in Kaduna (Nigeria) (192,602 views) OBJ’s son reported dead in Lagos plane crash •Names of more victims emerge (174,760 views) THE FINAL DISGRACE: Igbo scholar unleashes more facts about Igbo/Yoruba history, finishes off Femi Fani-Kayode with second article (159,646 views) My wasted years in Olumba Olumba Obu’s Evil Brotherhood (158,337 views) Lagos plane crash: Journalist releases victims’ names (152,749 views) Gunmen kill ASP, 2 other police officers in vain bid to kidnap Rivers PDP chieftain (143,052 views)

 

Categories Advertorials (3) African Press Organisation (81) Art & Literature (56) Business & Economy (3,459) Business Verdict (48) Columnists (910) Complaints & Requests (95) Enterprise & Opportunities (207) Entertainment (528) Features (635) Global Business Monitor (294) International (2,275) Interview (161) Live Commentary (28) Love Matters (134) News (38,077) Opinion (1,060) Pidgin (11) Politics (6,066) Religion (819) Sports (1,647) Stock Watch (33) AMA & Al Jazeera Global Update

 

CBN banner

Firstmobile banner

 

 

NEWS EXPRESS TV

Real Madrid vs Atletico Madrid 2-4 Highlights and Goals

 

APO Group Partner

 

 

CLASSIFIED ADS

GOCOP Accredited Member

GOCOP Accredited member

 

 

Africa Media Agency and Al Jazeera

Advertisement