Fidelity bank banner Bayelsa State banner
Airforce commences operation ‘Thunder Strike’ to flush out Boko Haram in Northeast

By Hamza Suleiman on 16/05/2018

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon Share on Google+

Views: 318

•NAF bombers on counter-insurgency duty
•NAF bombers on counter-insurgency duty

 

The Nigerian Airforce on Wednesday said it has commenced the conduct of Operation “Thunder Strike” to flush out Boko Haram in selected locations in the North East.

The Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar disclosed this to newsmen during a working visit to Maiduguri.

He said that the visit was to enable him have a firsthand information on the operation of the Airforce in the area.

Abubakar said that the operation was designed to deny the insurgents the freedom of action to attack soft targets in local communities, markets and places of gathering.

“Our men have been doing an excellent job. They have been working round the clock to make sure that our communities are safe and secured.

“We feel that we have to come and appreciate them for all the effort, and to convey the appreciation of the Commander-In-Chief of the Armed Forces, President Muhammad Buhari, for all they have been putting to ensure our communities are safe.

“We have also commenced operation `Thunder Strike’ and so far, we have seen excellent results. We want to make sure that these people that have evil intention do not have the opportunity to come and attack our communities and our troops.

“From what I have been briefed, it is very clear that so much has been put-in in terms of commitment, diligence and patriotism,’’ he said.

On whether the operation will bring an end to Boko Haram, Abubakar said “the issue of defeating Boko Horam has been over flogged; what we are simply doing is to make sure that our communities are safe.

“I can assure you that Boko Haram has been substantially defeated; they cannot function as an organised fighting force; they can only attack soft targets, go to a market or somewhere people are gathered, to detonate their explosives.

“What we are simply doing is to make sure that they are denied even this soft targets; we are doing this with the support of the fighting troops of ‘Operation Lafiya Dole’, he said.

He added that the major challenge faced was the weather conditions in the area, especially in this period of the year.

“Our major challenge is whether, which we do not have control over, but from what I have seen so far, the operation is successful.

“I want to commend our fighters who put in their best despite the harsh weather conditions, to protect our territories,” Abubakar said. (NAN)

Source News Express

Posted 16/05/2018 7:37:54 PM

 

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon Share on Google+


 

CLASSIFIED ADS

 

You may also like...
9 new varsities receive licence

Association decries dearth of nurses, midwives in government...

Group receives 2,151 cases of gender violence in...

Alex Ferguson spies on Real Madrid ahead of...

Fidelity Bank launches FlashKey; an innovative phone keyboards...

Mother, child killed in Festac (Lagos) bank robbery...

New Commander pledges to introduce new tactics in...

Bayelsa Govt., APC trade blames over violence, death...

Desperate search for 4 runaway lions in South...

Facebook to start TV broadcast, game shows

GUN DUEL between OBASANJO and JONATHAN? •The landmines...

7 IPOB members in court over alleged murder,...

 

Latest News SARS Reforms: 20 questions that must be answered PREMIUM TIMES Reporter, Ogundipe, regains freedom from Police custody Okorocha, Madumere and Imo Deputy Governorship Why Buhari will win 2019 presidential election — Bloomberg Mother hangs children after recording their goodbye messages 2019: INEC issues Sept 15 deadline for party primaries Prophetess nabbed over sale of day-old baby 2019 Imo Governorship: On Owerri zone we stand — Engr. Njoku •Drums support for Deputy Governor Madumere Osogbo landlords beg Aregbesola to pay N2bn compensation promised since 2014 LAUTECH: ASUU calls for Ajimobi, Aregbesola’s resignation 51 Kebbi drivers abducted: Governor Bagudu UN counters FG, says ‘huge ransom’ paid for release of Dapchi girls kidnapped by Boko Haram

 

Most Read NUDE PHOTO OF OMOTOLA JALADE-EKEINDE surfaces online (377,738 views) Nigerian female sex addict opens up, says ‘I like it with both men and women’ (366,648 views) Shameless Genevieve Nnaji exposes breasts in public (296,353 views) Finally named: The full list of friends of Nigerian female sex addict who prowled Facebook (241,915 views) OLUMBA OLUMBA OBU (the one who called himself God) IS DEAD (222,699 views) Igbo scholar disgraces Femi Fani-Kayode •Demolishes claims on Igbo/Yoruba history with facts and figures (217,149 views) Breaking News: POPULAR REVEREND CONVERTS TO ISLAM in Kaduna (Nigeria) (192,610 views) OBJ’s son reported dead in Lagos plane crash •Names of more victims emerge (174,767 views) THE FINAL DISGRACE: Igbo scholar unleashes more facts about Igbo/Yoruba history, finishes off Femi Fani-Kayode with second article (159,654 views) My wasted years in Olumba Olumba Obu’s Evil Brotherhood (158,350 views) Lagos plane crash: Journalist releases victims’ names (152,758 views) Gunmen kill ASP, 2 other police officers in vain bid to kidnap Rivers PDP chieftain (143,060 views)

 

Categories Advertorials (3) African Press Organisation (81) Art & Literature (56) Business & Economy (3,459) Business Verdict (48) Columnists (911) Complaints & Requests (95) Enterprise & Opportunities (207) Entertainment (528) Features (636) Global Business Monitor (294) International (2,275) Interview (161) Live Commentary (28) Love Matters (134) News (38,078) Opinion (1,060) Pidgin (11) Politics (6,066) Religion (819) Sports (1,647) Stock Watch (33) AMA & Al Jazeera Global Update

 

CBN banner

Firstmobile banner

 

 

NEWS EXPRESS TV

Real Madrid vs Atletico Madrid 2-4 Highlights and Goals

 

APO Group Partner

 

 

CLASSIFIED ADS

GOCOP Accredited Member

GOCOP Accredited member

 

 

Africa Media Agency and Al Jazeera

Advertisement