Fidelity bank banner Bayelsa State banner
Missing Yobe schoolgirls: FG begs for more time

By Ronke Sanya on 23/02/2018

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon Share on Google+

Views: 603

•Information Minister Lai Mohammed
•Information Minister Lai Mohammed

The Federal Government on Thursday said more time would be needed to assess the situation concerning the whereabouts of some schoolgirls who reportedly went missing after Boko Haram terrorists invaded a Government Girls’ College in Yobe State.

The school, Government Girls Science Technical College (GGSTC) located in Dapchi, Bursari Local Government area of Yobe state was on Monday, February 19 thrown into dismay after the terrorist struck, carting away food items.

The local residents of the Dapchi community said the girls and their teachers fled the attack but some of the girls, according to the Yobe State Government are still unaccounted for.

The Minister of Information, Lai Mohammed, on Thursday during a delegation visit to Yobe State said the Federal Government cannot disclose the number of girls missing as more time would be needed to assess the situation in Dapchi critically.

“On the issue of the number of missing girls, we cannot give what we are not sure of, until we hear from their parents, we cannot say this is the number. Give us a few more time please,” the Minister of Information told journalists shortly after he arrived Dapchi.

Mohammed is in Dapchi on the orders of the President Muhammadu Buhari. Buhari had on Wednesday directed the military and other security agencies to take control in Dapchi, Yobe State after receiving reports of the missing girls. He also ordered a delegation led by the Minister of Defence, Mansur Dan-Ali, to visit the school for an on-the-spot assessment of the situation.

The Yobe State Government on Wednesday issued a statement claiming that some of the girls had been rescued from terrorists by the Nigerian Army. In another statement on Thursday, the government made a U-turn and retracted the statement and tendered an apology.

Governor Ibrahim Gaidam of Yobe State, therefore, expressed concern over the incident promising to do everything necessary in partnership with security agencies and the Federal Government to address the situation.

Meanwhile, parents of the missing students are still in confusion about the whereabouts of their children. They converged on Thursday at the District Headquarters of Dapchi to await updates from the state government, an effort that met no positive response yet. (Channels TV)

Source News Express

Posted 23/02/2018 8:03:53 PM

 

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon Share on Google+


 

CLASSIFIED ADS

 

You may also like...
$9.3m Arms Deal: Northern Christians flay attacks on...

Human trafficking: NAPTIP seeks intelligence sharing with Immigration...

Presidential aspirant Mbonu visits IDP camps in North-East...

Amnesty for Boko Haram: Presidency disowns Youth Minister...

We’ll use nuclear weapons if threatened: North Korean...

Kaduna relaxes Zangon-Kataf curfew

Thugs invade Edo Assembly as lawmakers impeach Speaker...

DHQ clears the air on Nigerian troops trained...

Biafra: Ohanaeze demands unconditional release of Nnamdi Kanu...

Yudala dangles unmatched discounts nationwide with REALBLACK FRIDAY...

Senate committed to ensuring free, safe, quality education:...

FG spends N8 billion on forex waiver for...

 

Latest News 18-year-old boy rapes 7 Ekiti Varsity students Communications Minister, Adebayo Shittu, in certificate scandal Lawyer ambushes Python Dance 3 in court •Sues Buhari, Buratai, Malami, others Buhari, governors may clash with Tinubu over Ambode Oshiomhole, APC bow to governors, make U-turn on indirect primaries Delta establishes 6 IDP camps •To forward 2019 budget proposals to DTHA soon Southern, Northern leaders express fears over 2019 polls Plateau women protest half naked over military action Businessman sentenced 140 years for forging foreign cheques Stella Oduah dumps APGA, announces return to PDP Have we ever met before? Buhari asks new DSS boss Renewed attack in Nasarawa leaves 7 dead

 

Most Read NUDE PHOTO OF OMOTOLA JALADE-EKEINDE surfaces online (395,059 views) Nigerian female sex addict opens up, says ‘I like it with both men and women’ (376,045 views) Shameless Genevieve Nnaji exposes breasts in public (307,641 views) Finally named: The full list of friends of Nigerian female sex addict who prowled Facebook (250,103 views) OLUMBA OLUMBA OBU (the one who called himself God) IS DEAD (231,622 views) Igbo scholar disgraces Femi Fani-Kayode •Demolishes claims on Igbo/Yoruba history with facts and figures (221,328 views) Breaking News: POPULAR REVEREND CONVERTS TO ISLAM in Kaduna (Nigeria) (199,527 views) OBJ’s son reported dead in Lagos plane crash •Names of more victims emerge (181,168 views) My wasted years in Olumba Olumba Obu’s Evil Brotherhood (165,250 views) THE FINAL DISGRACE: Igbo scholar unleashes more facts about Igbo/Yoruba history, finishes off Femi Fani-Kayode with second article (163,102 views) Lagos plane crash: Journalist releases victims’ names (157,817 views) Gunmen kill ASP, 2 other police officers in vain bid to kidnap Rivers PDP chieftain (146,640 views)

 

Categories Advertorials (3) African Press Organisation (81) Art & Literature (62) Business & Economy (3,613) Business Verdict (52) Columnists (932) Complaints & Requests (94) Enterprise & Opportunities (207) Entertainment (547) Features (652) Global Business Monitor (301) International (2,415) Interview (164) Live Commentary (28) Love Matters (143) News (39,022) Opinion (1,108) Pidgin (11) Politics (6,663) Religion (869) Sports (1,697) Stock Watch (33) AMA & Al Jazeera Global Update

 

CBN banner

Firstmobile banner

 

 

NEWS EXPRESS TV

I am Imo State's New Governor -- Okorocha's son-in-law Uche Nwosu...

 

APO Group Partner

 

 

CLASSIFIED ADS

GOCOP Accredited Member

GOCOP Accredited member

 

 

Africa Media Agency and Al Jazeera

Advertisement