NewsExpress advert FCMB banner Fidelity bank banner NewsExpress advert
Boko Haram kills 4 UN workers in Borno

By News Express on 18/12/2017

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon Share on Google+

Views: 821


Four people were killed when a United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) aid convoy was ambushed in northeast Nigeria, a WFP spokeswoman said on Sunday, in the latest attack in the region as the conflict with Boko Haram nears its ninth year.

Attacks on aid workers are relatively rare in the conflict with the Islamist insurgency, compared with assaults on the military and civilians in Nigeria’s northeast.

The years of fighting have spawned what the United Nations calls one of the worst humanitarian crises in the world, with 8.5 million people in need of life-saving assistance.

“WFP can confirm that a convoy escorted by the Nigerian military including WFP-hired trucks was the subject of an attack by armed groups 35 km southwest of Ngala in Borno State on Saturday,” she said in an emailed statement.

“Four people, including the driver of a WFP-hired truck and a driver’s assistant, were killed in the incident,” the statement said, adding that “WFP is working with the authorities to determine the whereabouts of the trucks.”

The spokeswoman declined to comment on whether the driver and assistant were WFP staff, or give details about the other two people killed.

A military spokesman declined to comment.

Last year, the United Nations suspended aid deliveries in Nigeria’s northeastern state of Borno, the epicentre of the conflict, after a humanitarian convoy was attacked, leaving two aid workers injured.

Last week, the Nigerian government approved the release of $1 billion from the country’s excess oil account to the government to help fight the Boko Haram insurgency, despite a two-year narrative that Boko Haram has been all but defeated.

There are other signs the government and military may be abandoning that narrative.

Nigeria’s long-term plan is now to corral civilians inside fortified garrison towns – effectively ceding the countryside to Boko Haram.

Earlier this month, Nigeria replaced the military commander of the campaign against Boko Haram after half a year in the post. Military sources told Reuters that came after a series of “embarrassing” attacks by the Islamists.

•Text courtesy of Reuters.

Source News Express

Posted 18/12/2017 05:58:59 AM

 

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon Share on Google+


 

CLASSIFIED ADS

REVEALED: 3 natural ways to get stronger erections, last 25minutes on bed, and increase manhood size without using drugs. Also, Natural Prostrate Enlargement Remedy.. Get In HERE...

 

You may also like...
Expect another day of clouds and thunderstorms: NiMET...

How Nigeria can double her GDP (Part Two)...

6 children still trapped in collapsed Kaduna building...

Mauritania to abolish Senate

My regret — Saraki, late strongman of Kwara...

FG mulls augmenting electricity generation using nuclear energy...

South Africa’s economy in crisis

Breaking News: 18 governors in attendance as Jang...

LAUTECH: Visitation Panel begins sitting over ownership tussle...

FG declares Nigeria meningitis free

Women Arise, CEE-HOPE seek justice for engineer murdered...

NUC accredits 10 more programmes for Niger Delta...

 

Latest News Looters’ List: Court restrains Lai Mohammed Nigerians abroad send $22 billion home Why we arrested Dino Melaye: Immigration Service Governance in Nigeria has collapsed — Soyinka US-Nigeria Investment Summit: FG clears absentee ministers Troops destroy Boko Haram training camp in Borno Property Seizure: Rights group seeks investigation of Ekweremadu’s asset declaration 6 die during stampede at religious ceremony in Burkina Faso Over 30 Chinese tourists die in North Korea accident Islam soon to dislodge Christianity in South-South, South-East and old Middle Belt: Intersociety •Releases shocking details of killings, destruction of property Nigerian burnt to death in South Africa 2019: Ohiri unveils ‘Stay Baba’ group for Buhari

 

Most Read Nigerian female sex addict opens up, says ‘I like it with both men and women’ (339,526 views) NUDE PHOTO OF OMOTOLA JALADE-EKEINDE surfaces online (334,504 views) Shameless Genevieve Nnaji exposes breasts in public (267,675 views) Finally named: The full list of friends of Nigerian female sex addict who prowled Facebook (220,105 views) Igbo scholar disgraces Femi Fani-Kayode •Demolishes claims on Igbo/Yoruba history with facts and figures (202,022 views) OLUMBA OLUMBA OBU (the one who called himself God) IS DEAD (198,014 views) Breaking News: POPULAR REVEREND CONVERTS TO ISLAM in Kaduna (Nigeria) (172,768 views) OBJ’s son reported dead in Lagos plane crash •Names of more victims emerge (155,110 views) THE FINAL DISGRACE: Igbo scholar unleashes more facts about Igbo/Yoruba history, finishes off Femi Fani-Kayode with second article (147,055 views) My wasted years in Olumba Olumba Obu’s Evil Brotherhood (138,932 views) Lagos plane crash: Journalist releases victims’ names (136,826 views) Gunmen kill ASP, 2 other police officers in vain bid to kidnap Rivers PDP chieftain (129,515 views)

 

Categories Advertorials (3) African Press Organisation (81) Art & Literature (36) Business & Economy (3,067) Business Verdict (40) Columnists (836) Complaints & Requests (94) Enterprise & Opportunities (207) Entertainment (483) Features (569) Global Business Monitor (263) International (1,923) Interview (149) Live Commentary (28) Love Matters (116) News (34,682) Opinion (916) Pidgin (10) Politics (4,802) Religion (722) Sports (1,484) Stock Watch (28) AMA & Al Jazeera Global Update

 

 

NLNG Science and Literature Prize Awards

 

 

NEWS EXPRESS TV

Boko Haram commanders surrender

 

APO Group Partner

 

 

CLASSIFIED ADS

REVEALED: 3 natural ways to get stronger erections, last 25minutes on bed, and increase manhood size without using drugs. Also, Natural Prostrate Enlargement Remedy.. Get In HERE...

GOCOP Accredited Member

GOCOP Accredited member

 

 

Africa Media Agency and Al Jazeera

Advertisement