Fidelity bank banner Bayelsa State banner
N23bn Diezani Bribe: Court admits evidence against INEC official

By News Express on 05/12/2017

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon Share on Google+

Views: 511


Justice Mohammed Idris of the Federal High Court sitting in Ikoyi, Lagos, on Monday admitted in evidence three confessional statements tendered by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) against, an official of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Christian Nwosu.

Nwosu alongside two other INEC officials, Yisa Olanrewaju Adedoyin and Tijani Bashir, were re-arraigned on May 3, 2017 on an amended six-count charge bordering on receiving gratification to the tune of N264, 880,000.00.

At the last adjourned sitting on November 28, 2017, the first defendant, Nwosu, had told the court that the three statements he made to the Commission on December 28, 2016 and March 15 and 22, 2017 were not offered voluntarily.

Counsel to Nwosu, Obinna Okereke, while moving a written address dated November 23, 2017, had told the court that his client was threatened and cajoled to make the statements.

“Justice requires that the interest of the accused should be taken into consideration and it does not lie in the power of prosecution to dictate how the trial of defendant should go.  The court should ensure that justice is done.

“The prosecution did not allow the defendant to have access to any legal practitioners, when he was writing his confessional statement.

The prosecution imposed a counsel on him.

“The ACJA, 2015, Section 29(2) & (3) of Evidence Act clearly states the guideline for taking confessional statement from a defendant. But the prosecution did not comply with it; rather, the prosecution forcefully extracted and coercively obtained all statements of December 28, 2016, March 15, 2017 and March 22, 2017 from him,” he had said.

However, in his response, the prosecution counsel, Rotimi Oyedepo, had urged the court to dismiss the claim by the defence, adding that two witnesses had already been called since the trial began.

Oyedepo, who moved his address orally, further said: “The defendant was dully cautioned when he was making his statement, and he signed the cautionary word when he was making his statement.”

Consequently, Justice Idris had adjourned further hearing till yesterday.

In his ruling at yesterday’s sitting, Justice Idris held that the application filed by counsel to the first defendant lacked merit.

The judge, therefore, admitted the statements in evidence as exhibits D1 to D3.

The case was adjourned to January 11, 2018.

The first defendant, Nwosu, had pleaded guilty to receiving the sum of N30million (Thirty Million Naira) out of the  alleged N23billion Diezani Allison-Madueke bribe meant to compromise electoral officers before the 2015 general election when they were initially arraigned on April 5, 2017.

Justice Idris had earlier found Nwosu guilty and convicted him. He had also ordered forfeiture of all the landed properties acquired by Nwosu with the alleged proceeds of crime, including the sum of N5m (Five Million Naira) found in his bank account.

Though Nwosu later entered into a plea bargain agreement with the ‎EFCC, terms which the. Judge rejected on the grounds that Nwosu’s offence was heavier than the plea bargain agreement.

 In view of this, Nwosu and other accused persons were re-arraigned on May 3, 2017 on an amended six-count charge by the EFCC.

 During the May 3 sitting, Nwosu changed his counsel as well as his plea from guilty to not guilty.

Consequently, the prosecution counsel, Rotimi Oyedepo had prayed the court to transfer the matter to the Chief Judge for re-assignment on the grounds that Nwosu had earlier pleaded guilty and was convicted.

Oyedepo had argued that in the event of an accused pleading not guilty after initially pleading guilty, the Administration of Criminal

Justice Act, ACJA, states that such a matter should be re-assigned to another judge.

However, counsel to Nwosu, Okereke, had argued that his client pleaded guilty to the initial seven-count charge, while he pleaded not guilty

to the amended six-count charge.

After listening to both parties, justice Idris had ruled that he would ‎continue hearing in the matter on the grounds that Nwosu was re-arraigned on a fresh amended six-count charge, which he pleaded not guilty to.

 

Source News Express

Posted 05/12/2017 04:00:12 AM

 

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon Share on Google+


 

CLASSIFIED ADS

REVEALED: 3 natural ways to get stronger erections, last 25 minutes on bed, and increase manhood size without using drugs. Also, Natural Prostrate Enlargement Remedy.. Get In HERE...

 

You may also like...
2015: PDM inaugurates new National Mgt C’ttee, 36...

Nigerian maritime industry projected to grow by 5...

LG Polls soon in Ebonyi as Umahi signs...

BoI, Ebonyi roll out N4bn agric fund for...

US Congress, Nigerian-American Leadership Council brainstorm on Boko...

AfDB approves US $200-million risk participation facility to...

Man scales fence into Judge's house, docked

Fidelity Bank posts N146.9bn gross earnings, offers N4.6bn...

2015: Any Igboman or woman who votes for...

My case against SaharaReporters

No rift between Obaseki and chairman, Ojezua

Ex-petroleum minister tipped to emerge new Kaduna APC...

 

Latest News Are we still in recession? Because this hunger dey vex, By Fredrick Nwabufo Another Okorocha in-law joins Imo governorship race •Refuses to step down for Uche Nwosu Ngige dares Oshiomhole, spurns ultimatum APC’s juicy carrots won’t stop our defection ― R-APC Spokesman Tension at Nigerian Law School over alleged blasphemy •Angry Muslim students threaten to lynch suspect PDP summons emergency National Executive Council meeting Islamic clerics, monarchs worship in Kaduna church 2019 elections: Saraki as a big factor 323 FG agencies fail to submit 2016 financial report ―Auditor General of Federation Osun PDP Guber: Ogunbiyi moves to upturn Adeleke’s victory Lagos task force clears container trucks from blocked roads Buhari not worthy of addressing ICC — IPOB •Flays refusal to release El-Zakzaki, Dasuki despite court orders

 

Most Read NUDE PHOTO OF OMOTOLA JALADE-EKEINDE surfaces online (364,310 views) Nigerian female sex addict opens up, says ‘I like it with both men and women’ (359,602 views) Shameless Genevieve Nnaji exposes breasts in public (288,015 views) Finally named: The full list of friends of Nigerian female sex addict who prowled Facebook (236,305 views) OLUMBA OLUMBA OBU (the one who called himself God) IS DEAD (215,782 views) Igbo scholar disgraces Femi Fani-Kayode •Demolishes claims on Igbo/Yoruba history with facts and figures (213,185 views) Breaking News: POPULAR REVEREND CONVERTS TO ISLAM in Kaduna (Nigeria) (187,362 views) OBJ’s son reported dead in Lagos plane crash •Names of more victims emerge (169,365 views) THE FINAL DISGRACE: Igbo scholar unleashes more facts about Igbo/Yoruba history, finishes off Femi Fani-Kayode with second article (156,734 views) My wasted years in Olumba Olumba Obu’s Evil Brotherhood (153,560 views) Lagos plane crash: Journalist releases victims’ names (148,360 views) Gunmen kill ASP, 2 other police officers in vain bid to kidnap Rivers PDP chieftain (139,364 views)

 

Categories Advertorials (3) African Press Organisation (81) Art & Literature (52) Business & Economy (3,365) Business Verdict (48) Columnists (890) Complaints & Requests (94) Enterprise & Opportunities (207) Entertainment (516) Features (617) Global Business Monitor (286) International (2,163) Interview (159) Live Commentary (28) Love Matters (127) News (37,379) Opinion (1,028) Pidgin (10) Politics (5,662) Religion (790) Sports (1,614) Stock Watch (33) AMA & Al Jazeera Global Update

 

CBN banner

Firstmobile banner

 

 

NEWS EXPRESS TV

Nigerian detainees send SOS from Osama prison

 

APO Group Partner

 

 

CLASSIFIED ADS

GOCOP Accredited Member

GOCOP Accredited member

 

 

Africa Media Agency and Al Jazeera

Advertisement