NewsExpress advert FCMB banner Fidelity bank banner NewsExpress advert
GM quits Venezuela after government seizes its factory

By News Express on 22/04/2017

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon Share on Google+

Views: 751


General Motors announced Thursday that it was shuttering its operations in Venezuela after authorities seized its factory in the country, a move that could draw the Trump administration into the escalating chaos engulfing the South American nation amid days of deadly protests.

The plant in the industrial city of Valencia was confiscated Wednesday as anti-government protesters clashed with security forces and pro-government groups in a country battered by economic troubles, including food shortages and triple-digit inflation. Three people were killed and hundreds arrested in the deadliest day of protests since the unrest began three weeks ago.

The seizure arose from an almost 20-year-old lawsuit brought by a former GM dealership in western Venezuela. The dealership had been seeking damages from GM of 476 million bolivars — about $665 million at the official exchange rate, or $115 million on the black market where many Venezuelans are forced to turn to sell their increasingly worthless currency. GM said it was notified this week that a low-level court ordered the seizure of its plant, bank accounts and other assets in the country.

Hundreds of workers desperate for information about their jobs gathered at the plant Thursday to meet with government and military officials, as well as representatives of the dealership that brought the lawsuit. The neglected factory hasn’t produced a car since 2015 but GM still has 79 dealers that employ 3,900 people in Venezuela, where for decades it was the market leader.

General Motors’ announcement came as Venezuela’s opposition moved to keep up pressure on President Nicolas Maduro, taking to the streets again Thursday a day after the biggest anti-government demonstrations in years.

It's not the first time the Venezuelan government has seized a foreign corporation’s facilities. Last July, the government said it would take over a factory belonging to Kimberly-Clark Corp. after the American personal care giant said it was halting manufacturing because materials weren’t available in Venezuela.

But the move against GM, the United States' biggest automaker, was a much more powerful statement, and could lead to a further erosion of relations between the two countries.

“This is a test case for Trump,” said Raul Gallegos, a Bogota-based analyst at Control Risks consultancy. “His response to a rogue nation taking over the assets of a brand name U.S. company will be indicative of the road it wants to take with Venezuela.”

The State Department said Thursday it was reviewing details of the GM case but called on authorities to act swiftly and transparently to resolve the dispute.

“A fair, predictable and transparent judicial system is critical to implementing the essential economic reforms critical to restoring growth and addressing the needs of the Venezuelan people,” State Department spokesman Mark Toner said.

Later Thursday, Maduro said he had called for an investigation into cellphone operator Movistar for allegedly being part of the “coup-minded march” organised by adversaries of his government. He said the subsidiary of Spain’s Telefonica “sent millions of messages to users every two hours” in support of Wednesday’s protests.

Tens of thousands of protesters took to the streets again Thursday to demand elections and denounce what they consider an increasingly dictatorial government. They were met by a curtain of tear gas and rubber bullets as they attempted to march to downtown Caracas.

Across the country, the clashes have been intense. Pro-government militias were blamed for two deaths on Wednesday, including that of a teenager in Caracas who was heading to a soccer game with friends. However, government officials cast doubt on the account saying the other victim, a 23-year-old woman, was killed by a member of an anti-government movement led by former congresswoman Maria Corina Machado, a claim Machado denied.

“They’re using a Venezuelan’s death, for which they’re responsible, to commit slander,” Machado said on Twitter.
“That’s how this criminal dictatorship works.”

The third fatality was a National Guard sergeant killed overnight when his squad was attacked with gunfire while trying to control disturbances in a suburb of Caracas, the chief prosecutor's office said. Another officer was wounded in the clashes.

Another five people have been killed in the three weeks of protests sparked by a Supreme Court decision to strip the opposition-controlled Congress of its last remaining powers, a move that was later reversed amid a storm of international criticism.

The move has energised Venezuela’s fractious opposition, which had been struggling to channel growing disgust with Maduro over widespread food shortages, triple-digit inflation and rampant crime.

Opponents are pushing for Maduro’s removal through early elections and the release of scores of political prisoners.
The government last year abruptly postponed regional elections the opposition was heavily favored to win and cut off a petition drive to force a referendum seeking Maduro's removal before elections late next year. The opposition sees the government measures as turning Venezuela into a nearly full-blown dictatorship.

But the government hasn’t backed down.

Maduro, addressing supporters Wednesday, said he was “anxious” to see elections take place sometime “soon” and repeated his call for dialogue, something many in the opposition see as a stalling tactic.

“Today they attempted to take power by force and we defeated them again,” said Maduro, adding that authorities rounded up several armed opponents seeking to carry out a coup. He didn’t provide any evidence to back up the claim, and the opposition rejected it as an attempt to intimidate Venezuelans from exercising their constitutional right to protest.

As tensions have mounted, the government has used its almost-complete control of Venezuela’s institutions to pursue its opponents. On Wednesday alone, 565 protesters were arrested nationwide, according to Penal Forum, a local NGO that provides legal assistance to detainees. The group said 334 remained in jail on Thursday. (AP)

Source News Express

Posted 22/04/2017 12:59:24 PM

 

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon Share on Google+


 

CLASSIFIED ADS

REVEALED: 3 natural ways to get stronger erections, last 25minutes on bed, and increase manhood size without using drugs. Also, Natural Prostrate Enlargement Remedy.. Get In HERE...

 

You may also like...
Army appoints new Commander to lead war against...

Lagos shops for N60 billion from capital market...

Unpaid salaries: NUT threatens indefinite nationwide strike •What...

Oshiomhole lied about $30B missing from Excess Crude...

El-Rufai harps on need for unity, harmony

We’re determined to transform the environmental landscape of...

FG clears the air on task force on...

Marriage one of man’s boldest steps —VOFM church...

Over 500,000 sign petition to ban Donald Trump...

NIEEE tasks distribution companies over unhealthy electricity transformers...

Breaking News: Mutiny in Maiduguri, Nigerian soldiers ‘fire...

NSE index sustains growth by 0.54 per cent...

 

Latest News 8,000 whistle blowers partner FG in war against corruption Ex-militants threaten to resume hostilities 2019: APC governors adopt Buhari as consensus candidate Melaye vs Police: Embattled Senator’s spokesman clears the air Dutch cargo ship hijacked off coast of Nigeria, seize 12 crewmembers BREAKING: Senate adjourns over Melaye, summons IGP Ibrahim Idris Daniel woos Afenifere, says Atiku’s Presidency will support restructuring of Nigeria Oshiomhole’s endorsement as APC National Chairman as childish: Odigie-Oyegun Cable TV front desk officer slammed with 22-count charge for N14m fraud, remanded in prison custody NPA bans return of empty containers to seaports Dino Melaye’s arrest ‘a sad reminder of Hitler’s Gestapo strategies’ — Ozekhome Kano Govt. owes retirees N13bn gratuities

 

Most Read Nigerian female sex addict opens up, says ‘I like it with both men and women’ (339,876 views) NUDE PHOTO OF OMOTOLA JALADE-EKEINDE surfaces online (334,917 views) Shameless Genevieve Nnaji exposes breasts in public (267,968 views) Finally named: The full list of friends of Nigerian female sex addict who prowled Facebook (220,360 views) Igbo scholar disgraces Femi Fani-Kayode •Demolishes claims on Igbo/Yoruba history with facts and figures (202,198 views) OLUMBA OLUMBA OBU (the one who called himself God) IS DEAD (198,270 views) Breaking News: POPULAR REVEREND CONVERTS TO ISLAM in Kaduna (Nigeria) (172,969 views) OBJ’s son reported dead in Lagos plane crash •Names of more victims emerge (155,335 views) THE FINAL DISGRACE: Igbo scholar unleashes more facts about Igbo/Yoruba history, finishes off Femi Fani-Kayode with second article (147,202 views) My wasted years in Olumba Olumba Obu’s Evil Brotherhood (139,139 views) Lagos plane crash: Journalist releases victims’ names (136,991 views) Gunmen kill ASP, 2 other police officers in vain bid to kidnap Rivers PDP chieftain (129,661 views)

 

Categories Advertorials (3) African Press Organisation (81) Art & Literature (36) Business & Economy (3,074) Business Verdict (40) Columnists (837) Complaints & Requests (94) Enterprise & Opportunities (207) Entertainment (484) Features (569) Global Business Monitor (264) International (1,928) Interview (149) Live Commentary (28) Love Matters (116) News (34,742) Opinion (917) Pidgin (10) Politics (4,813) Religion (724) Sports (1,485) Stock Watch (28) AMA & Al Jazeera Global Update

 

Firstmobile banner

 

 

NEWS EXPRESS TV

Boko Haram commanders surrender

 

APO Group Partner

 

 

CLASSIFIED ADS

REVEALED: 3 natural ways to get stronger erections, last 25minutes on bed, and increase manhood size without using drugs. Also, Natural Prostrate Enlargement Remedy.. Get In HERE...

GOCOP Accredited Member

GOCOP Accredited member

 

 

Africa Media Agency and Al Jazeera

Advertisement