By Muhammad Adamu, Kaduna on 24/02/2013
Palpable tension and confusion have enveloped the north-western state of Kaduna following last night’s attack by unknown gunmen that killed six and critically injured 10 at Aduwan Gida in Zangon Kataf Local Government Area.
Commuters and worshipers were seen fleeing from every direction to safety, following a rumour sent through SMS and the social media of reprisal attack at Gonin Gora.
Some of those who fled to the Nigeria Defence Academy (NDA) old site could not state what was happening, only that they saw people running and they joined them.
“I don’t know what is happening. I only saw people running that they have started killing people at Gonin Gora so I joined them,” a lady who gave her name as Matha Ali who spoke to our reported around Malali village said.
A staff of the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) Modupe Ayinla said she was on her way to cover the International Trade Fair when her husband called to break the rumour to her.
“My husband called to tell me about the rumour of the attack, so I quickly drove into the NDA for safety before I later realised that it was a false alarm,” Modupe said.
The District Head of Aduwan, Yariyock Kabantiyock, had confirmed that six people were killed and 10 injured in an attack during the burial of the village head, Marcus Mantuwa, around 10:30pm on Saturday in the village.
“So far, six people are dead and 10 that were critically injured have been taken to hospital for treatment,” Kabantiyock said.
The Police Public Relations Office, DSP Aminu Lawal, however said only three were killed in the attack.
He also dismissed the rumour of a reprisal attack and urged citizens to go about their normal businesses.
The Kaduna State governor, Mukhtar Ramalan Yero, has ordered an immediate investigation and prosecution of the perpetrators of the attack.
The governor in a statement issued by his DG media and publicity, Ahmed Maiyaki, pleaded with people of the area and the state to remain calm as government has taken adequate measure to forestall any break of law and order in any part of the state.
The governor described as unfounded and false the rumour of crises in the metropolis.
“Yero however warned that government will deal decisively with any persons or group found disrupting peace and order in the state and therefore call on people to remain law abiding and peaceful.
“Yero also directed security agencies to maintain law and order in the area and the state as well as protect lives and properties of the people,” the statement said.
•Photo: Kaduna State Governor, Mukhtar Ramalan Yero.
Source News Express
Posted 24/02/2013 1:48:47 PM
You may also like...
Ekweremadu calls for decentralisation of policing
FG unfolds plan to hand over Lagos Airport,...
We have defeated Boko Haram —Army General
Boko Haram did not kill 150 in Yobe...
The war of press versus power in America,...
WHO declares global emergency over Zika-linked condition
Gallant troops invade Boko Haram’s Sambisa forest stronghold...
Don tasks Obiano to revive Oba Airport project...
EFCC arraigns 6 for N31m fraud
THEY’VE BEEN KILLED: Indonesia executes Nigerians, other convicted...
Boko wastes 14 soldiers, 11 policemen and 10...
Recession to last beyond 2017 – MAN